Andy Warhol was right after all. Everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame at least once in their lives. For me, mine came yesterday, on the 11th February of 2006.
I was the first recipient of the SMU MLCC Award, and I performed with my SMU brothers and sisters on stage, celebrating the lanch of a book which held our beliefs and faith in our culture. It was such a lovely feeling, to be in the presence of so many people that u love, and doing them proud at the same time. The feeling was simply indescribable.
To everyone who made my 15 minutes of fame possible, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. May God bless each and every one of you for all the hard work that you've put in for the past weeks. Even for friends who turned up, or couldn't make it, I thank you for taking time off to see me, wish me luck and saying hello. You make up part of that special moment for me which I dearly hold in my heart.
Then today, a special surprise awaited in the mail. I received a letter from the registrar's office regarding the degree I've officially been awarded.
It says, "Accordingly, you are entitled to all the rights, privileges and honours attached to the degree."
I thought to myself and made a small vow that along with that small attainment of my own, there were unspoken societal, familial, even personal responsibilities to fulfill. There is simply so much to give back and share with..and I know now that I am ready.
As I sat on my bed, quiet on a windy afternoon, a small breeze wafted through the windows, made a pretty shape in the curtains, and I knew that this moment was the moment I've been waiting for for a long time now.
I'm just so blessed that it has finally arrived.
And now, I can't wait to do more..Alhamdulilah.
